Go Green Condos
The importance of being environmentally-friendly is paramount in our current climate, so you may be thinking of looking for ‘green condos’. At The Condo Group Real Estate, we strive to be as environmentally conscious as possible – both at the office and in our day to day lives. If you are searching for a condo and wondering about eco-friendly, or “green” features, we have put together a list of things to look for. Keep in mind that not all condos will have all of the following items, especially older buildings and developments, but here is a quick checklist of some of the things that set more environmentally friendly buildings apart:
Green Condo Checklist:
- Water efficient taps, showers and toilets
- Dual flush toilets
- Light sensors and/or self-dimming lights in building common spaces and suites
- Energy Star (or EnerGuide) appliances
- LED lighting fixtures
- Eco-friendly flooring, such as Marmoleum or bamboo
- Heating: anything from a greywater heat exchange system to a system that generates heat from waste wood
- A bike storage space and/or car sharing co-op
- Low-Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) paints and carpets – flooring and cabinetry is a bonus!
- Solar powered anything is always a plus!
- Glazed windows, or extra blinds on the exterior of the windows where possible
- Remember, smaller spaces are more environmentally friendly!
Our Condo Experts will be able to help you with your home search and find the buildings around Victoria that are going green. Dockside Green is one development in particular that focuses on sustainability, with a focus on water and energy conservation, and LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) construction. Many other developers are focusing more on sustainability and green features in new buildings – and these are definite selling features in our books!
While you search for green condos, be sure to check out this list of green businesses around town, to lessen your environmental impact even more.
If you are interested in learning more about Green Condos, contact one of our #CondoExperts!